Transition / mid season racing – all good and had some great form
Race prep phase – getting harder to continue CTL build with the lift in intensity. Some training/racing interruptions (mostly unavoidable) in latter stages of phase saw an unintended mini-peak for State Champs.
Final race prep (hard!), taper and competition yielding great results.
Recovery period now for a couple of weeks.
The end of the beginning...
I’m calling the National Masters Track Champs the end of my season. In reality there is no start/end of season any more, just a change of season. Focus now moves to road events and getting ready for the World Masters Track Championships in October.
So how did I go for the season?
- October 2006: Credible performances in State Masters Road race (7th place) & Criterium (4th place & big power PBs). Very pleased with form.
- March 2007 PB in Individual Pursuit at State/National Masters Track Championships (PB at both Championships by 2.2 seconds and > 6 seconds in competition). Nice work, especially at States!
- March 2007: Improve on 2006 Points Race performances of 4th at States and crash at Nationals (4th at States but took a lap on the field and Bronze medal at Nationals). Sensational!
- September 2006: 1st ever win in Div 1 Friday Night Track Racing
- October 2006: Member of Bronze medal winning team in State Team Time Trial Championships
- November 2007: Winner B Grade open Brindabella Crit
- December 2007: 1st B grader at Open Heffron Pudding Crit (only B grader left standing actually)
- January 2007: Member and Captain of winning team at State Masters Team Pursuit Championships – 1st ever State Championship win
- All summer: Multiple placing in track opens
Me on the podium with Stuart Vaughan (Left) and Graeme Albon (Centre):
Other items to note:
- MAP (+11%) & TT power (+17%) lifted nicely - as measured per tests although pre-comp numbers not tested so quite possibly better than that.
- Mental approach better, more positive than before.
- Training overall significantly more consistent than before.
- Training specifically tailored to event demands and personal power profile.
- CTL peak (100 TSS/day) much higher than previously attained.
What can I improve? Lots but that’s between coach and I at the moment ;)
- Cranking up the coaching business and becoming an RST Associate Coach.
- Guiding Tanya’s comeback. Seeing this cancer surgery comeback kid win two National championships, a silver & a bronze was pretty special.
- Performance Manager Beta tester and associated learning.
- Starting/maintaining blog.
I am convinced (for some reason) that continuing to improve my IP will make me a better all round rider (even though I’m not a naturally gifted IP talent). Around the same time as the Worlds are the State Road and Crit Championships. Also, making the #1 TTT squad for the State Club TTT Champs would be nice. And have a great time racing along the way.My racing goal(s) for remainder of 2007 remains the same:
Make the Points Race final at World Masters Track Championships
continue to improve on my IP performance.